I have been testing a new brushless motor for an RC plane. It is a 2200KV motor controlled by a 30A BLDC ESC. I heard a grinding noise coming from my motor, as demonstrated in the following video: Video Here
I have not been able to find a video where someone's motor produced a similar sound. I feel like I have checked many of the usual troubleshooting issues.
- This is a new product and has never been crashed. I checked for damage from manufacturing and there aren't any dents or deformations.
- Magnets on rotor seem to be level and secure
- Unsure about state of bearings. I thought one seemed to be spinning strangely (as if misaligned) but when I reevaluated it seemed fine.
- Shaft is straight
- A few coils are every so slightly loose... doesn't seem like it would be enough to cause problems
- Screws for mounting clear both the stator and rotor. Seem to be magnetically attracted to rotor, but when I removed the screws then the same sound was produced.
I would like to believe it's just the cause of a bad bearing, but there were a couple times where the motor spun just fine after I had reassembled it, which leads me to believe something else is awry. I'm just a rookie at RC, so I'd like to get the opinion of some more experienced ears.
Is it possibly an issue with the ESC? I did solder the ends of the power wires. I was careful not to overheat, but possibly not careful enough?